Friday, June 11, 2010

Joy and Heartache

Over the past few weeks Aaron and I have witnessed both amazing compassion and heartbreaking distress. Sometimes staying focused on what God has placed us here to do, is difficult. Knowing that God sees all the pain and distress is comforting but confusing. I wonder how God can sit back and see these kids without shoes, without food, and mother's working their fingers to the bones to provide. Then I speak with a mother and I hear her joy as she says, God is good! The Psalms tell her to let nothing take her joy and she is determined to obey. I see two men (one of the men not even having his own blanket) give up their pay to assist another family. A family of 14 living in a 12x12 home that is weak enough to be pushed over by 4 men.

A woman at the gate needs money to purchase her child's school uniforms and books but I have to turn her away (we have enough money for 14 students and they are all accounted for). Aaron must turn a woman away who is running from a murder. The man chopped her hand off with a meat cleaver and it was sewn back on (swollen and bruised). We have promised six homes already this summer to "dire situations" and will try to find her assistance but cannot offer immediate help. Heartbreaking and disturbed we turn to God and offer the most powerful asset we have, prayer. Prayer is the one avenue that will keep us focused on God's work here. We cannot solve any of these problems on our own but with God we can help and we can give love.

Love, a hug to two children that just stopped by. A cricket ball to boys in the playfield, just because we want to bless them. A phone call to say, I was praying for your exams. A ride home because I know you are tired and walked 2 miles in the heat of the day. An invitation to hang out, just because I desire your company, no strings attached. I am humbled that God called me to this country to live everyday seeking ways to love. Love with my heart, my spirit, my physical touch, my talents and when others are compassionate, I get to share love offerings. The mother was correct God is good and I will not allow the sad situations over shadow the Love, Joy, Compassion, and Desire.

4 comments:

  1. oh, Melissa what a beautiful heart you have for Jesus and for people. He is pleased with your faithful work and with your love for people. keep staying close to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome, Melissa. Today I was reading about being a spiritual mentor and I learned that we are not to try to fix their problems, but to be led by the Holy Spirit, sharing with them God's truth, comforting and loving them, so that it will draw them closer to Jesus. You guys are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys rock! I love how God is using you. He must provide so much strength to get you through those hard times, like having to turn people away. Bless you!!! I love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a heavy heart I had reading this but you summed it up. God is good. How amazing that you guys are strong enough to be able to handle those situations. I love you guys and am thankful to God who placed a call in your hearts to serve the people of Jamaica. God Bless my fiend.

    ReplyDelete