Friday, May 21, 2010

Just a day

Yesterday I had my first babysitter. Annakay was great and the kids loved her! Recommended by another missionary I felt comfortable leaving her for the day. After running errands in town, getting lunch for the crew, dreaming about my role here and completing student support paperwork-I was ready to see my babies!

We took Annakay home instead of getting her a taxi. On the way we picked up another girl who happened to be in the student support program (I had not met her yet). Sasheen is sweet and very patient with motor mouth Audrey! As I drove the windy, twisting, bumpy mountain road we passed other homes that I will need visit for student support. Driving through one area of the mountain, I was informed a principal had been murdered there the day before (insert lump in throat).

As we drove farther and farther down a side road, I could not believe that Annakay was willing to walk the entire length of the side road to come watch my children. As we headed to her home, I got to meet Annakay's mother, Aunt and cousin. We picked up Annakay's son (Akiele, 8 months) from her cousin. He is the cutest baby and soooo happy! He about jumped out of Anna's arms to reach Audrey. Audrey is very fond of Akeile and was happy to see him again. Next week we are hoping to have Annakay and Akeile over for the evening. Annakay has completed cosmetology school (with financial assistance from the student support program) so we offer her services (pedicure, nails, braids, massage) to teams and thus helping Annakay financially.

Annakay's home was cute, not what we would picture for ourselves but it had four walls, paint and a door! I am amazed at how sweet and happy Annakay is, with the circumstances she has/is facing. Akiele is such a smart and talkative baby......maybe all we really do need is love. Love from others and love of Christ!

Please pray for Annakay and her family. God has plans for this woman and I cannot wait to see them unfold!

This was not the initial intention of this blog post but as I type I feel lead to offer ways to help.

If you feel led to help Annakay or other students in the student support program here our ways!

1. Annakay can always use new nail polish colors, acrylic nails, acrylic powder and other nail accessories (then she can profit more when doing nails).
2. Annakay would like a stroller so make it easier to attend church. Akeile is getting heavy and it is a loooooong walk to church.
3. Books/diapers.....these items are expensive here in Jamaica and we would disperse them among many parents.
4. Financial support can be donated to CSI marked for student support program.

If you have more questions feel free to ask or email mommaintherace@gmail.com


1 comment:

  1. Since I tend to know a bit of the cosmetology business ;0) I can be on the look out for stuff. There was a sale on nail polish awhile back so I will check it out. How do I get it to her though?

    ReplyDelete