Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's BACK!

Well, my knee injury that began here, is back. It actually never went away but only hurt when running over three miles. With that thought in mind I should not be surprised that it is slightly swollen and very sore because I completed the Indianapolis 500 Mini Marathon yesterday (this was my first half marathon)! My goal was 10 minute miles (my training was poor, well I cannot really say there was any training) so when I completed with 11.5 minute miles I was satisfied. I only walked a total of 1.5 miles out of 13.1 so I was happy with myself. I must admit about mile 10, I was really wondering why I did not train just a little, teeny, tiny bit! Overall the experience was great. I ran with my brother and Aaron. Aaron is not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. In fact if Aaron is not running with or after a ball he considers running to be pointless. He ran the mini for me and I am very PROUD of him for completing it! He did a great job at pacing himself and staying motivated. I think if you ask him he is proud of himself too and may actually consider running a mini again :)

I hope to run another mini in the fall or next spring but with some training and a goal under 10 minute miles. This time I will enjoy the fact that I completed the race and my brother and husband were there with me!

6 comments:

  1. Great job girl! I so envy you! I couldn't run a 10th of a mile if I tried!!! LOL! I pray your knee holds up and is ok! ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Melissa! I haven't gotten to try a mini yet, but I sure do want to. I did a 15K, but that was only 9 miles. I'm ready to tackle a bigger distance! Good job to Aaron and your brother too!

    Oh, I'm sorry I never got back to your question about the book I was reading before I went on vacation. I brought it to church today, but didn't get a chance to look for you. I'll bring it this next Sunday if you'd like to take a look at it:)

    Have a great night and hope your knee heals up quick:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job!! That is really neat! I hope you knee is feeling better! There is not much worse than a knee that is hurting and little ones needing attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Aaron running. I can't imagine the look on mine and his dads face when he told us about this, it was probably a look of sure you are...Aaron comes from a long line of non runners. From both sides. On the other hand Melissa runs like an elk. I sure hope your knee gets to feeling better. And we will always be grateful that you are the one that can make Aaron run.

    ReplyDelete