Monday, May 25, 2009

On Our Own?

Mom and Dad have been in Jamaica for over one week. It may sound strange to some but this has been the longest amount of time, since being on my own, that I have not been able to contact my parents for immediate guidance, assistance, or conversation. Yes, as some are thinking, I am getting along just fine. Since they left their has been a death, a birthday and a "holiday" weekend.

The death was bitter sweet and my sympathies go out to my brother in-law and his family.

The birthday was celebrated in fashion. My grandmother turned 86! At her request we went to lunch at IHOP, yummmmmmmm! Audrey decided that grandma needed extra attention. While using the potty with her dad, she informed our bust boy that it was grandma's birthday. He made it his mission to have her sang to. We had seen other birthday wishes yesterday and two or three staff members would sing, but Grandma got the whole crew (well at least 10) and ice cream! Audrey's face was quite funny as she "supervised" the ordeal. Not necessarily playing and singing along but watching everything as if she planned it to happen (I guess she did in a way).

Last night we had a few hamburgers and smores with my sister, brother in-law and brother. We played outside and euchre inside after the mosquitos had ate us up. The highlight of the evening was when we all decided to get in the pool! Please remember we just filled our pool on Friday! The only smart one was Braylon, who refused to be in the water! We only lasted about 15 minutes but it was fun having our first splash of the summer!

The weekend has been great and I have enjoyed it but I cannot help to wonder what will it be like when places are reversed. When my family is in Jamaica and Mom is here, reporting to me all the news and events from the states. When I hear about mulching and garage sales at Aaron's parents and know that Audrey is missing out on cousin/papaw time. When my family is having a summer splash and we are not with them. While talking with mom and dad on skpe this past week, I have enjoyed showing them the kids and telling them their latest adventures, funny sayings and abilities (Braylon learned to clap) but the entire time I know they will be home soon. I see in my mom and dad's eyes that they long to hold the bouncing boy on the computer screen and give my giggling Audrey a hug....how will I feel when in Jamaica as I see those longing eyes knowing it will be another month, maybe two or three before we can actually touch again.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of our service men and women who spend 18 months in Iraq or Afghanistan away from their wives/husbands and children. It can't be easy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your entry managed to bring me to tears! I am prayinig for you as I know it is so exciting to walk out God's will but not easy... the sacrifice is great! We are praying for you every step of the way! Hugs! ~mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your family is so close. I can't imagine what it will be like when you are in Jamaica. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those who dont know her, Vera is a sweet heart. Everytime I see her we compare notes on how much my children (Aaron/Melissa) her grandchildren (Aaron/Melissa) my grandchildren (Audrey/Braylon)her great grandchildren (Audrey/ Braylon)(sounds complicated but not really) mean to us. I am so glad she had this day I hope she has many more, and that Audrey will be there planning the whole party with Braylon smilling and clapping. Vera deserves it.

    ReplyDelete